The History of German Township

German Township was one of the nine original Townships into which Fayette County was divided by the first Court held in Uniontown on December 24, 1783. Some sources believe that several German families (hence the name) settled on the Monogahela River as early as 1767. Early industries were saw and grist mills, as well as production of the famous "Monogahela Pure Rye". The first fort was built around 1770. The first school and church west of the Alleghenies, Jacob's Lutheran Church, still remain in the Township today.

In 1899, German Townshipsaw the beginning of the coal and coke industry. It was thought that 22 veins of coal, ranging in thickness from one foot to 11 feet were to be found in German - coal of such high quality, that at one time land in the Township was some of the most valuable in the world. Local folklore says that "King Coal" united with "Queen Coke" and gave birth to "Princess Steel". The Township had both the coal and tens of thousands of beehive ovens to transform the coal into coke.

Even though in the mid-1950's coal was no longer "King", German Township continued to be strategically located near many urban areas offering commercial, educational and medical facilities to the residents. Future development opportunities in the Township will further provide advantages to Township residents who want to raise their families in not only an area of natural beauty, but also a friendly atmosphere.

 

Township Facts

Population: 5,097 (2010 census)
Households: 2,017
Land Area: 33.75 Square Miles
Roads: Township - 71 Miles; State - 37 Miles

 

Township Information

2014 Millage Rates

2014 Recycling Laws

2014 Meeting Dates

German Township Census Information

Building Permit Information